My mind has been swirling with gardening plans. I’ve managed to plant my peppers earlier, which was a goal I had from last year.
A couple weeks back I started peppers, cabbage, onions, and kohlrabi in the green house.
- Marconi – we’ve grown the red ones before but this year I started red and yellow ones.
- Shishito – this is the first time we’ve grown this one, I’ve heard they are especially good roasted and wanted to give them a try.
- Yolo Wonder – another one we’ve tried and had good luck with.
- Yellow Sweet Spanish – I rarely start onion from seed other than the bunching type ones I direct sow, but wanted to give this one a try.
- White Vienna – We’ve never grown kohlrabi before, but last summer Miss Cindy brought us some from a local farmer’s market and we just loved it!
- Copenhagen Market: I haven’t grown cabbage in a couple of years because I got so frustrated with bugs, but Ed Ammons and a local farmer friend convinced me I wouldn’t have to worry about bugs if I used row covers, so I’m trying again.
I’ve purchased two green stalk planters and can’t wait to see how they work. I’m thinking of planting strawberries in one of them. If you’ve never seen a green stalk go here.
I got a load of compost last week and The Deer Hunter has been given access to free mulch from a tree removal job that was done last summer. He brought one load home this evening and hopes to bring another tomorrow.
I’d love to be outside working every weekend, but it’s hard to work in the pouring down rain and that’s what we’ve had for the last month!
Are you anxiously awaiting planting time like me?