Chatter and Ruby on a Spring day several years back
A common piece of folklore tells us April showers brings May flowers.
As much rain as we’ve had this April I think May will abound with blooms.
A quick look in the Frank C. Brown Collection of North Carolina Folklore showed these other bits of Spring folklore.
- wash hair in March rain water for pretty locks
- never mix April 30 milk with May 1 milk or butter will be slow in coming
- if you get your head wet in the first rain of May you will not have a headache all year long (with my headaches I should at least try this one!)
- if you wash your face in dew on the first of May you will be pretty
- March snow is good for sore eyes
- as sudden as an April shower
- snow in April is manure
- spring peas placed in a child’s shoe stops their growth
- when April blows its horn tis good for hay and corn
As I was looking through the book I noticed these sayings:
- poorer than a crow in Spring
- as thin as a whippoorwill in Spring
If you have any other spring folklore I hope you’ll leave a comment and share it!