I had never even heard of Russian Tea before I met The Deer Hunter-much less tasted it. The first Russian Tea I ever drank was made by his mother Miss Cindy and her recipe is still my favorite.
- 2 quarts of water
- 4 tea bags (2 family size)
- half of a large can of pineapple juice (freeze or chill the other half for your next batch of tea)
- 1 small can frozen orange juice 12 oz
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 stick of cinnamon (or 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon)
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 2 cups of sugar or a little less if you don’t like it so sweet
Brew tea in water. Add all rest of ingredients and heat till the sugar is dissolved. If you don’t drink it all in one day, it stores well in the fridge. We warm it up a cup at a time in the microwave.
Funny how we pick up new traditions along the way. As I said at the beginning of this post, I had never even heard of Russian Tea before I met Miss Cindy, but after being married to her son for so long now I can’t imagine a Christmas without it.