All the great comments about burning the garden made me think of a few old sayings about fire things like:
- If you play in the fire you’ll pee the bed tonight: Years ago Pap was burning off a small garden area. One of the littlest cousins kept playing in the fire Pap told him “if you don’t quit playing in that fire you’ll wet the bed” never missing a beat the little boy said “I’ll be swimming tonight!” We all got a big laugh out of that.
- Fight fire with fire. I’ve heard this one my whole life and I might have even said it once or twice, just maybe.
- I’ve got too many irons in the fire. I’ve said this one in the last few weeks.
- Don’t add fuel to the fire.
- Don’t burn your bridges.
- Out of the frying pan and into the fire.
- Where there’s smoke there’s fire.
- Money burns a hole right through his pocket: The Deer Hunter.
- If you play with fire you’re going to get burnt: Don’t you just know a Mother came up with this one to warn their errant child it’s perfect common sense.
- Burning your candle at both ends.
- Burning the midnight oil.
If you think of any other fire/burn sayings hope you’ll leave me a comment.