It seems only yesterday I was telling you about the goals I had planned for the Blind Pig & the Acorn during the new year of 2017 and now that entire year is gone and behind us.
I’ve been studying on the things I’d like to accomplish during the year of 2018, but before I tell you about them I’m going to re-share what I wanted to accomplish in 2017 and let you know how I did.
- I’m still working on the idea I shared with you for the past two Januarys-the idea of celebrating Appalachia in a bigger way involving the voices of people like you and me. I haven’t made any real progress on the idea other than collecting thoughts and tid-bits, but I’m still dreaming about it. Still no real progress on this idea but I still want to do it!
- I hope to add new folks to my monthly vocabulary test videos. Up to this point its mostly been the girls, The Deer Hunter, and me that you’ve heard saying the words. I added several different people to the video line up so I accomplished this one.
- Paul and I are still trying to find our way through the maze of making the dvd about Pap’s music that I told you about. We have made some real progress on a new cd of Pap and Paul. Well I should say Paul has made some real progress since he’s done all the work. He’s also made real progress on the first Pressley Girls cd. We finished The Pressley Girls cd, filmed one video for Pap’s dvd, and Paul has made real progress on the cd of Pap and him and the rest of us-it will be a Blind Pig and The Acorn compilation.
- Speaking of Pap, I hope to share the story of his death with you in greater detail. I feel like you would want to hear it since you really cared about him. Done.
- I have a secret plan for the coming year. I hope the girls will become a bigger part of the Blind Pig and the Acorn…I haven’t talked to them about this idea-so that’s why I said it was a secret. Well this one didn’t happen! But I did manage to get Paul to write more than one guest post.
- I’m still studying on a cookbook full of Appalachian foods and a book on Appalachian language, but I mostly feel overwhelmed when I think about them. I am happy that I’ve been able to add the option of printing to the recipes I share. I made zero progress on this one. Well I did meet with a dear friend who is a very experienced author and I did make notes about what I would want each book to include. I guess that’s progress even if it is minuscule.
- I hope to meet more of you in person this year. I met more readers in 2016 than in all the years before combined. It was so much fun to put a face with a name. I was able to meet more Blind Pig Readers during 2017 so this one was accomplished.
Now for my plans for 2018
- I want to move the Blind Pig and The Acorn to a new blogging platform. I’ve been with Typepad since 2008. When I first started the blog Typepad was right up at the top with the best blogging platforms. A few years into my blogging career Typepad changed hands. After the change it seemed like Typepad was happy with leaving things as they were. There were no new options nor even an effort to keep up with the ever changing technology. So while other blogging platforms have raced ahead with new concepts and technology Typepad has pretty much stayed where it was in 2008. In addition over the last several months Typepad seems to have become less dependable. You’ve probably noticed in the last few weeks they’ve failed to send out the blog on more than one occasion. Last weekend instead of publishing my scheduled post on Sunday they published two posts on Saturday leaving nothing for Sunday. Over Christmas I’ve started the process of moving the blog to a new platform. It’s been a beast of a thing to accomplish and although the finish line is within sight I’m still not there. I’ll have a post with more details about the move later this week so be on the lookout for it as it will contain some important information for subscribers.
- I want to create a membership site for the Blind Pig and the Acorn. What does that mean? It means for a small fee I’ll be able to offer you a more robust version of the Blind Pig and the Acorn-think podcasts, videos, interviews, and a more personal look into our lives. If that doesn’t sound like something you’d be interested in don’t worry, the Blind Pig and The Acorn in its current fashion will always be available for free to anyone who wants to read it. Patreon is a very popular membership platform. It started as a way for musicians, writers, and other artists to receive support from folks who believed in their individual endeavors. While creators like myself are super passionate about what they create, the creating doesn’t come without cost. In the last year my computer died, the camera I use for the blog videos died, and I needed to move the blog to a better service. All those things = money. Add in the expense of a new car (because my car died too) and all my hospital bills from last summer’s bout of illness and that doesn’t leave much money for me to celebrate and preserve Appalachia in an ever increasing way like I want to. I’m not sure where this idea will take me, but where ever it leads just remember the Blind Pig and The Acorn in its current fashion will always be available for FREE to anyone who cares enough to read it and I so appreciate those of you who do care enough to read it!
- I still want to celebrate Appalachia in a bigger way involving the voices of people like you and me. I think a membership site would aid in finally achieving this goal.
- Paul and I will continue to chip away on Pap’s dvd as well our other music endeavors.
- I believe my move to a new platform will facilitate my efforts at a cookbook and language book-even if its only in an e-book format.
- Just like last year, I want to meet more Blind Pig and The Acorn readers face to face in 2018.
I hope each of you will continue to visit me here on the Blind Pig and The Acorn during this new year of 2018.